A great thing about coworking spaces is how unique each one can be. From the community vibe to the job flexibility, there are a number of important factors to consider when choosing where to co-work.
Amenities tend to be a big selling point. But don’t get too caught up in the glamorous offers and blow your budget.
Check out these tips for choosing a coworking space that has amenities you really need and are willing to pay for.
Start by thinking about why you want to co-work in the first place. Do you need a shorter commute? Is your home too distracting? Are you lacking a professional space to meet with clients? Consider what a coworking space can provide you in terms of business growth and productivity.
Some common amenities that are vital to a good coworking space include:
- A high-speed internet connection: A solid internet connection is crucial to maintaining effective communication with your coworkers and accomplishing tasks for your job.
- Quality equipment: If you need scanners, photocopiers and printers, be sure to find a place that provides access to these items and regularly replaces ink, toner and paper.
- Location: Sometimes choosing a coworking space comes down to whichever space has the shortest commute, especially if you’re someone who wants to spend more time at home and less time on the road.
- Meeting rooms/phone booths: If you regularly speak with clients or meet with them in person, you’ll want to check whether the coworking space offers meeting rooms and individual phone booths in order to have private conversations.
In addition to your top priority, you’ll want to consider what perks you need or expect. For example, think about what you would find in a typical office and whether those amenities are something you’d also want from a coworking space. Maybe you are seeking a coworking space because they can provide what you’re missing at home.
Think about what features would make paying for a coworking space worth it to you:
- Beverages: Most corporate offices offer coffee, tea and water to their workers, and many coworking spaces do the same. If you would miss having access to free caffeine, then double-check that beverages are included with your membership.
- Social events: If working from home has you feeling isolated and lonely, maybe you want a coworking space that hosts social events, like happy hours or evening networking.
- Wellness programs: Striking the work-life balance can be difficult, and some coworking spaces are helping combat this struggle by providing yoga, meditation, workout facilities and other programs.
Coworking space amenities can be a huge draw, but don’t let them distract you from the main reason you’re paying to be there: increased productivity. Don’t forget that you need to look for additional features that cater to your working style:
- 24-hour access: Whether you’re an early bird or a night owl, you want a space that is open during the hours you are most awake and willing to work. Finding a space with extended hours can be extremely beneficial when you need access outside of the regular 9-5.
- Quiet environment: Sometimes the hot desk/flex desk environment can be a little noisy. If this will be a problem for you, it might be important to find a space that offers private offices or workspaces that are spread farther apart.
Figuring out what amenities to pay for comes down to your preferences, but keeping your budget and priorities in mind can help prevent you from paying for something you don’t really need.
If you want to learn more about typical coworking space amenities or want to check out a space yourself, contact Brix Coworking, a company with two coworking locations in Madison, Wisconsin. Brix provides affordable coworking and workspace solutions for small businesses, remote workers, entrepreneurs, freelancers and musicians.
Connect with Brix Coworking today to schedule a tour and get more information.